Fire Prevention & Intumescent Coatings
Buckingham Industrial Coatings have extensive experience providing both fire prevention coatings and intumescent coatings for clients based throughout the UK. During our extensive years of operation we have provided these coatings in a number of environments, including manufacturing plants, schools, hospitals and retail centres.
We make use of only the highest quality fire prevention and intumescent coatings, including those manufactured by Envirograf, Nullifire, Thermoguard, Zeroflame and Firetherm. Since so much depends upon these coatings that only the best will suffice for our clients.
What Are Intumescent Coatings?
Intumescent coatings provide a form of passive fire resistance, as opposed to active fire resistance this measure does not directly combat the fire. Instead, however, passive fire resistant measures aim to contain the fire by delaying the damage caused to the buildings structure and delaying the spread of the fire throughout the building.
Intumescent coatings have been specifically designed to protected metal structures and substrates from the damage caused by fire. This is achieved through a chemical reaction which is heat activated and results in the coating producing an insulation like coating known as “char”, which protects the underlying metal substrate.
How Does The Chemical Reaction Work?
The typical chemical reaction which occurs when heat is applied to an intumescent coating is as follows:
- The applied heat begins to soften the coating’s polymeric binder.
- As this occurs, an organic acid is also released from the Ammonia Polyphosphate.
- Subsequently, the carbonisation of the polyols begins.
- The blowing agent, or melamine, then begins to decompose. As this occurs gas is released which causes the molten mixture to swell.
- The reaction ends as the char solidifies, as part of a cross-linking reaction.
How Intumescent Coatings Can Benefit Your Business
Intumescent and fire prevention coatings primarily benefit businesses due to their ability to prevent and reduce the impact of a fire, both upon the building in which it occurs and also the individuals within it. However there are a number of commercial benefits which a business gains from using these coatings, these include:
- A reduction in the cost of rising insurance policies.
- Provide protection to firefighters, in the event of a fire, enhancing their ability to combat the fire thus reducing the damage caused.
- Provides protection to your capital investment.
For further information about the fire protection and intumescent coatings we offer, or to arrange a free, no obligation onsite survey of your premises, a member of our dedicated customer service team can be contacted by calling 01908 273 570.